Saturday, June 27, 2015

Ch. 17 Revolutions of Industrialization or The Problem with Wealth and Power and Other Quandaries


Two words on the first page of this chapter jump out:  wealth and power.

Bottom of page 829:  “a widespread and almost obsessive belief that things could be endlessly improved.”  I can say with confidence that this thinking still applies today.  Just look at Apple; they are constantly upgrading and improving their products, and people are like sheep lining up at the crack of dawn to get the next best toy.

OK, I am dating myself by saying this, but when I was a kid, we had a white rotary dial phone attached to the kitchen wall, and I still remember that phone number: 57980.  That was it!  Later, more numbers got attached to the front:  335-7980.  Then 412-335-7980.  Now 412 is 724 because there are too many people, and new numbers had to be created.

Historians can spin the words all they want about spreading the credit for innovation from Britain alone to other parts of the world, but the bottom line is that the Industrial Revolution was spawned in Europe, with Britain at the helm.  To say otherwise is like saying that the Cardinals don’t have the runaway best record in baseball right now.  The writing is on the wall.

Page 833:  “Asia, home to the world’s richest and most sophisticated societies . . .”  Says who?  Is this what everyone thought of Asia?

Seems to me that Britain, if compared to a phenomenal baseball team, had all the star players, resources, and backing to create a team of ultra studs!  Let’s give credit where credit is due.

This is awesome:  Samuel Smiles’ famous book outlining the core values of middle-class culture:  Self-Help (p. 837).  What a great title!  Now I know where my family’s values derived.  I will sleep much better tonight.

OH MY WORD!  So the Industrial Revolution spawned the world’s shopping addiction!  I wonder if the topic of shoes and shopping will surface at some point, because shoes are my personal addiction.

My father worked at PPG factory where I grew up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.  Once, as a young adult, I took a job in a uniform factory, which I found to be akin to entering and exiting a prison on a daily basis.  That job lasted one week – I never even gave them a notice – just walked out of there.  Got sick of having my lunch stolen every day, punching a clock for every movement, and getting barked at for not folding the uniforms with the right creases.  Factories are really prisons in disguise.

Little did Henry Ford realize what a monster he created with the advent of the car.  Virtually every other commercial on the boob tube is one promoting a car.  Our society relies so heavily on automobiles that there is no turning back.

I am dating myself again, but this paragraph on Sears and Monkey Ward’s (p. 848) prompted me to think of my first pair of skates obtained with books of green stamps.  They were the metal skates that clamped onto the bottom of your sneakers and the parts were adjustable with a skate key.  I still remember going to the Green Stamps store to get them, and I loved them so until I got my first pair of shoe skates!

Yes, Pittsburgh is a steel town through and through.  That is why the Steelers are called the Steelers.  There are still communal living areas that exist around my hometown, projects that were built to accommodate the families of the factory workers.  Basically, they are tenement slums.

OK, I get the need for tin, rubber, sugar, bananas, cacao, etc., but bird droppings for fertilizer?!  Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment